Wednesday, November 24, 2010

The Rationale for Writing "On Establishing the Correct Teaching for the Peace of the Land"

I, Nichiren, observing this state of affairs, proceeded to consult the great collection of Buddhist scriptures. There I discovered the reason why these prayers are without effect and on the contrary actually make the situation worse, along with passages of proof to support it. In the end I had no other recourse than to compile a work to present my findings, entitling it On Establishing the Correct Teaching for the Peace of the Land.. . . This I did solely that I might repay the debt of gratitude that I owe to my native land.

The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin
The Rationale for Writing "On Establishing the Correct Teaching for the Peace of the Land"
Written to Hogan on April 5, 1268

No comments: