Friday, February 25, 2011

A test of faith (part 3)

Nichiren Daishonin Buddhism was introduced to me by my mother in law some twenty years ago. I was a part time Buddhist then. By part time I meant chant when had mood. On and off, I will chant when I encountered any problems.

My first test of the faith was when my wife conceived my second son. When hearing the news that my wife was pregnant with my second son, I was very happy.

The gynecologist who looked after my wife when conceived my first son was Dr McCoy. The doctor was about sixty years then. My wife and I had decided to change doctor as we felt that he was old and might not be good and so we changed to a younger doctor(about 40 years old).

We asked friends and colleagues and was recommended Dr. X, the younger doctor. So we went to see Dr. X for consultation for about two months. On the second month the doctor did a scan on the womb and there was no sign of heart beat on the foetus. He did a pregnancy test again but confirmed that my wife was indeed pregnant. The doctor asked us to see him again in a week's time. One week later we went to see the doctor again and the doctor said that there is no new development and suggested to do a D & C on my wife and there was still no heart beat.

We were lost and panic and did not know what to do. We consulted my mother in law and she just say go and chant. As we were sad and do not have any other choice. My wife and me decided to chant. What have we got to lose? Just try and it is free and instead of spending out time worrying might as well spend our time chanting.

So this how we began chanting. We spent hours and hours chanting Nam myoho renge kyo. After chanting we decided to seek a second opinion and went back to Dr McCoy. The doctor did a scan and pregnancy test and confirmed that my wife was pregnant but there was no sign of heart beat of the foetus. He said that since my wife was pregnant for more than two months, there was no hurry to do anything and suggested she just wait for another month or so. After hearing his remark we felt relieve and went home and chant.

We chanted daimoku everyday and on the visit to Dr McCoy on the third month the scan showed sign of heart beat. We were very happy.

From the third month to the seventh month my wife bleed for a number of times. Every time when my wife go to work after a few days in office, she bled and went to see the doctor and the doctor will give her two weeks sick leave. This happened until the seven months. The numbers of sick leave taken was about more than 120 days.

We were persistent and continued to chant daimoku. Miracle happened on the eight month and my wife seemed okay. She can go to work everyday until the day my second son was born.
The doctor looked surprise and was very happy with the progress of my wife.

Through chant we had the good fortune of meeting a good doctor. Had we listen to the first doctor we would not have our second son. My son is now in form five. He is always in the top ten position in the class and had straight As in two public examinations.

No comments: