Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Earthquake!

Spiritual Story by Larry McNeely

Did you ever experience a really strange feeling, but not know what that feeling was?

That very thing happened to me (and probably to thousands or millions of others) today at 4:37 a.m. At first, I thought it was a BIG gust of wind, or that my old house, built in the 1920's, was finally falling apart. However, after a few seconds, I pretty well knew that this was an earthquake. I had just begun my morning Bible study, and I felt very safe right where I was. This was definitely an "act of God", and knowing that He needed no help from me, I continued my Bible study.

I try not to get too "shook up" about things that I have no control over.

An earthquake happens without warning; lasts for only a few seconds; and we are unable to stop it. An earthquake can happen at any time of day, at any season, or in any type of weather. It can be a silent, deadly killer.

At the time of this writing, I have heard of no injuries or deaths associated with this quake. It was a 5.2 on the Richter scale- a "medium" earthquake. The quake's epicenter was in West Salem, Illinois, and this quake's magnitude was this region's highest, in 40 years. I was listening to the local TV reporters as they were interviewing people who lived close to the epicenter of the quake.

Several people talked about their animals' reactions BEFORE the earthquake. For whatever reason, it seems that God alerts our animals of imminent danger, before he alerts us humans.

The newscasters say this quake was felt as far north as Michigan, and as far south as Alabama. What if this earthquake had been a magnitude 8.2 or a 9.2? I probably would not be writing this story right now, and you probably wouldn't be doing whatever it is that you are doing right now. Most likely there would be injuries, deaths, and devastation.

Only by the grace of God were we spared... this time. May I suggest that all of us take this earthquake as a "wake-up call." May I further suggest that each and every one of us would conduct a spiritual inventory of our lives, and be 100% sure that we "count" every thing.

When death comes, will you be ready?

No comments: